Sharon, our beloved dorm Mom, soccer Mom, and actual Mom, is sick - she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in late 2016. Over the last months, she has undergone a number of different treatment protocols. After completing her most recent protocol, although her doctor initially thought she was in remission, her cancer came back aggressively and in different forms. Due to her weakened condition from the recent treatment protocols, she is not able to re-engage the desired conventional protocols available in Taiwan for 3 to 6 months. However, because of the speed with which the cancer is moving, she can't wait for her body to recover to take action. This blog is setup to keep you up to date on how Sharon is doing.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

More from 11/14

So what to say about today?

I guess we'll  start with some "famous lines from Sharon.  "1.) "I am feeling a bit short of breath but it's good."
...always a model of optimism like her father... 
2.) Don't forget your red pillow....always remembering that last thing that's left in the hotel room when we depart. In this case the "hotel" was the ICU.
3.) "Remember to tell her we're in Rm515."...reminding me that we'd not informed Gwenn, who arrived back in SD today, that we'd moved out of ICU. Thank you for being aware and taking care of the details my ailing wife....
4.) "I'm lready fo my spleech not to slound flunny."  My personal favorite on the day because it made me laugh so much.  Not sure if it's the sores in her mouth or the dryness due to all the O2 input but either way her speech patterns are currently not up to snuff.

Next up a Timeline:
11/13
10:30pm Moving from ICU to Room 515. We are on the same floor, so that was nice yet, so sad because the night nurse in ICU was a treat. Not to worry the night nurse at 515 was equally sweet and just as capable. She kept wanting to "hear our story".  People never need to worry and yet we do. Trust is always an option when worry presents itself. We choose today to just walk one step at a time on this journey and take them as God leads.

11/14     6:15 AM
As I sit on the step of the apartment, shaved, and showered, ready to go to the hospital, enjoying the cool air as the sun rises while the birds chirp I entertain the question that so many have asked me "are you taking care of yourself?"  Well the past couple nights, thanks to Lana, I've  gotten 5-7 hrs sleep a night. That's a lot more than Sharon has. Praise God for peace of mind from the Lord to allow a weary mind to rest. A "big spider" found in the bathroom by my brave accomplice Josh is "not very big anymore".  Thank you God for non homo sapien sources to release some  frustration on. A week ago, while still back in Taiwan, I put the fear of God in three dogs that made the errant choice of chasing after me on my bike ride.  Were there to have been some aerial drone footage of that event it would surely go viral.  Moving on, the tendinitis in my left foot is not slaying me every step today.  After 6 days I'm glad to not be "hop a long Cassidy" anymore but a part of me is sad as well. Sharon is struggling. I should be struggling also, sure we both struggle in our hearts but joining her in a humble bit of physical difficulty has been oddly therapeutic.  Josh and I pull up to Einstein bagels. I tip the the cashier for contributing to a good start for what will, in all likelihood, be a challenging day and also the guy behind the counter who noticed the arrival of a customer before he entered the store, placing the order long before the surprised fellow arrived at the counter. I thanked the attendant for looking out for others. Examining this short review I feel like "I'm taking care of myself" but in this current public life we are living I'll allow myself to remain open to suggestion if you see some gaps.

7:15AM
When I arrive at the hospital Sharon's breathing is decidedly laboured and, as afore mentioned, her speech slurred.  The day nurse enters. Praying nurse #3. She delivers,  at her suggestion, as has been the case with each of them, this crazy good prayer.  Tears stream down my face...again.

8:30AM
A dorm son arrives to visit. "I thought you were coming this evening." I say "Uh" he responds. It's all good God is in control. This young man was just the companion that Josh needed during this day.  Later in the day on parting, with eyes brimming, he thanks Sharon for her influence in his life.

8:45AM
Breakfast arrives. Sharon chow's down half a bowl of cream of wheat all the while eyeballing the covered cup of coffee on the side. It's been a month since she had a cup. She gets out of bed and sits in a chair and we each share a coffee just like we have on thousands of mornings in the past 27 years. Clearly the best part of my day.  

9:00 AM
Two doctors follow. Their information is inconclusive and just leaves more questions.  This is not their fault at all. They simply report on what is a difficult case.  The expression of one feels sympathetic the other does not.  I was glad that my ire was mostly spent on the encounter with the dogs last week. We say our piece and part with our variant perspectives on amicable terms.   Praise God.  Next up is the PT from day 1.  "If 1/3 of my patients could be as motivated as you Sharon."  Much needed encouragement in that moment. So many wonderful new friends here from the Sharps Medical Center family.  Some seem to feel a bit awkward at my desire to connect yet after a brief spell are drawn to it. Jesus wants us all to connect. That's what heaven will be full of.  I've felt that here this week but it appears I may also be losing one connection, for a time anyway, that has become most dear of all.  Those letters are hard to type.  I'd gladly accept the unbelievable party it would be if we were to walk out of here hand in hand.  "Not my will but thine..."

10:30AM
Gwenn, Don and her father Art arrive. I really don't know where the rest of the day went. We took turns in our small private room listening to Sharon breath like an old fashioned steam locomotive. That's the best way I can describe it. She's been like that for several days. I'm tuckered just listening to her. She's one tough customer. It's like one long old time movie when the trains come in the station, only in this one the scene is put on an endless repeating loop.

Later in the afternoon she sits up to have "tea" (ice chips for Sharon) with her father as they also have on thousands of occasions.  Sharon, sitting in a chair again for a bit, puts her feet up on the bed much as she would if she were out on the deck up at our cabin in the UP.  Clearly the best part of Art Stejskal's day. The question is did Sharon enjoy morning coffee or afternoon tea more?  I suggest we just call it a draw.

It took energy and time to decide if James and Mark should come back out today or not.  In the end it feels like the right call. They are pretty incredible. I contacted them just after noon and they packed, made a 3 hour drive to Dallas and were on a 10:00pm flight west. Uncle Tim McGill would be so proud.  A Morrison alum who read the short blog message today offered to pick them up, get In & Out Burger and drop them at the hospital. They arrived here just in time to say "good night" to Sharon.  

7:00 PM
"Is this really her respiratory rate?" asks the new night nurse as she's checking in.  "Yes. Respiratory knows," responds praying nurse #3.  As noted earlier and is now substantiated Sharon has been breathing heavy for the past three days non stop.  As we all know she is a fighter. I'm proud of her, sad for her, and hurt with her.  I'm curious about her future.  I wish it to be less challenging than these past days have been. I think there might finally be some cannabis on the way tomorrow. That should help one way or another.

Until later

Shalom


Terry

PS: In retrospect I may be getting a bit wordy.  I can hear our college professor saying, "cut it in half."  I'm going to accept that I get the pass on this one.  It's been therapeutic, tears and all, so thank you all for bearing with.   We so appreciate all of you supporting us in so many ways and journeying with us in prayer. 

31 comments:

  1. Glad to read every word. Do the writing therapy and forget the editing! Love and prayers to all of you. So glad Uncle Art is able to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it's therapeutic, write it. Write it all. It's a blessing to those of us who can't be there to listen in. We will not stop praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you all -- glad the Florida contingent all arrived. Pat talked to Gwennie the other night, so knew they were headed back. You are in our prayers 'without ceasing'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trust is always an option.... thank you! Tears stream down my face. I’m praying. Though, I don’t always have words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One step at a time can be the most glorious and heartbreaking of truths to lead. Tears and prayers as always.
    Love you all, Nick and Serene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following closely, hanging on every word. Praying incessantly. Thanks for all you write. Hurting with you but yes, so proud of Sharon. May our God continue to give you all you need. Love, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you all today. I know it's Sharon's birthday and am asking father for special grace and mercy today! Love, Tim and Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you all today. I know it's Sharon's birthday and am asking father for special grace and mercy today! Love, Tim and Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you all today. I know it's Sharon's birthday and am asking father for special grace and mercy today! Love, Tim and Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying and praying and praying. I wish there were more that I could do, but I know Father is in charge, so I'll just keep talking to Him. Sharon is such a fighter, she is AWESOME! Keep writing, it helps us too. Hugs all around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those of us who are far away your words are comforting and heartbreaking at the same time. Ignore the voices of your professors. Gives us more material to lift you all up before our Mighty Heavenly Father. We love your family very much.
    Love,
    “Penelope”

    ReplyDelete
  12. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 1Cor 13:12
    Love and prayers from the Finks

    ReplyDelete
  13. The McGill dorm celebrated Sharon's birthday tonight in fine form. You should be receiving a special video before the day is through. We all love you so much, miss you like the dickens, and continue ue to pray without ceasing. Love the stream-of-consciousness entries, Terry. They are real and help us feel like we are there with you a little bit.
    Love, Melody

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let the cacophonous birthday song role forth....we miss everyone but especially the McGill Dorm family

    ReplyDelete
  15. For the sake of clarification. Cannabis is humorous because of it's history but there is currently a lot of talk of the cancer fighting elements of cannabis. Sharon believes and she is the one fighting the most so let's try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday Sharon. I just wanted you to know how much love, prayers and encouragement I hear every day from so many people. We had our HS PAC meeting today and it was too quiet 🙂. Seriously, not the same without you! We had a great time of prayer for you and it was uplifting to hear awesome things about you from our wonderful group of parents.
    Terry, you and the boys are on our hearts as well. Thinking and praying for you many times throughout the day. Thanks so much for your inspiration and information. It really helps to know what’s going on. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much, Terry, for your posts. I understand how wearing the sound of difficult breathing can be... May God give you, James, Josh, and Mark the strength you need to be present with Sharon each day, to take each moment as it comes. All my love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you, especially you and the boys. God will care for Sharon and he has been preparing her for this time whichever way the future leads.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Terry for keeping us updated. I am really enjoying your reading your vivid accounts and seeing your humour and faith come through. Keep going ! I feel as though I'm with you. My heart is with you all, and especially with Sharon. Sending Love from Glencoe, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Appreciate your posts on the blog. Don’t make apologies for your “wordiness” as you’ve always been a great storyteller. We know and love you as you are! In times like these it’s good to find wonder in the moments. My love and care to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for every single word Terry. Praying always

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love you Aunt Sharon and Uncle Terry! I'm praying and I've asked my friends here in Texas to pray as well. Thank you so much for writing and updating us. Happy birthday Aunt Sharon! ❤

    Much love,
    Hanna Kim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yesterday late at night Bobby came into our room in a heavy mood requested us to pray for Sharon. I'm off today and spent the whole morning reading the messages in your block in tears, trying to catch up with what had happened.
    Cancer is not strange to us -- Amy had cancer, so does her dad, her uncle and her grandma. My parents had cancer too! We went through many things, but Sharon is one of the most serious one.
    When Amy was diagnosed with end stage cancer in 2005, God gave me a scripture song from Psalm 91:14-16. I read the Scripture with her and said, "Daughter, you'll be at my dead bed, not the reverse, cuz God promised you a long life". Praise the Lord, although with an episode of metastasis, Amy is cancer free for 7 years now! Nothing is impossible in God, miracle does happen! Let's keep on praying...
    Also, we thank God and thank you very much for being Bobby's dorm-parents in those years.

    Prayers from Toronto,
    On Kee and Hon-Chau Wong

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terry - your words are a gift, a challenge, a hymn, a testimony...just like Sharon is on her birthday and all days. Thank you. God's love is your native language. Sharon has always spoken it, too, with a slightly spicier accent, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday Sharon! Praying for you and your family and sending so much love to you! I hope you can beat your sons more today in Pass the Pig or ?.
    Thank you Terry for sharing your words and stories. We missed Sharon in HS PAC today but had a wonderful time of praying for your whole family. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Terry, Keep up the detail therapy. It helps us all to know how to pray. (And as an English teacher I'm a big believer in the power of writing to work through things.)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy birthday Mrs. McGill!

    You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Praying for strength, endurance and patience for you all. Praying for a miracle every day. Our church in Japan prayed for you as well. My siblings are all praying as well...Keep writing Mr. McGill, we appreciate your posts and they help us understand how we can pray and be part of all of this. Your words are a gift to us all.

    Much love to you all,
    Esther Krushnisky

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sharon:

    Only the best for you on your birthday; let the dulcet tones of Nick Dreamer serenade you:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjWLJr2O0s

    All love and good thoughts headed your way from our family to yours.

    In my thoughts daily.

    - Mike

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Terry, I don't have your gift for words, but do soappreciate yours. Tim and I shared a short week with you and Sharon at Morrison for years ago when we had the dorm parent acsi thing. We learned more from you and Sharon than anything that was offered at the convention. Sharon shared the rubric that I have used many times with great success, even with our own kids. Your evident joy and enjoyment of the kids was contagious. Thank you somuch! We are heartbroken over the pain and grief you and your boys and all your Morrison family and biological family must be experiencing right now. Our prayer for you is that you and your children will continue to walk in faith as you discover what thenext steps are. Thank you so much for writing down your journey and sharing it with us who are far away. I want to encourage you, some how, but am at a loss for words, please know Jesus is interceeding on my behalf, so his prayers are perfect! Much love and prayers for you all at this time of intense grief. Tim and Janice Phillips

    ReplyDelete